Emission Repair Service and Smog Check
Smog Check Engine Repair
Is it that dreaded time of year when you have to go down and get your vehicle emissions tested? Bullitt Automotive offers a smog check engine repair if you fail the test, just bring your papers down and let us find the problem and get your vehicle to pass the standards and get you on your way.
When you have your emission tested a state certified tech will measure the amount of hydrogen, oxygen, carbon monoxide and nitrogen oxide that your vehicle is emitting. The tests can take anywhere from 10 minutes to an hour and may involve your vehicle being driven by a state tech on a roller to reproduce a preset driving scenario. If you fail any of these tests it could be from your emission controls or something else.
When you bring your vehicle in we will look at the tests you failed and it will point us in the direction of the problems you are having. All of or our services are backed with our guarantee and years of automotive repair experience.
Unless they are exempt (see “Inspection Exemptions” below), all vehicles model year 1967 and newer in the Phoenix and Tucson areas* require ADOT emissions testing. This includes vehicles used to commute to the Phoenix or Tucson areas for purposes such as work or school.
How often to test your vehicle depends on how often you must renew your vehicle’s registration:
- Model year 1981 and newer vehicles: 2 years.
- This does not include diesel vehicles.
- Model year 1980 and older vehicles: 1 year.
- This also includes most vehicles in Tucson.
Your registration renewal notice will state whether it’s time for an emissions test.
* Some partial ZIP codes require testing. Please refer to the state’s VEI Address Locator to determine whether your vehicle requires testing.
The following vehicles are exempt from emissions testing:
- Vehicles model year 1966 and older.
- Gasoline-powered and alternative fuel vehicles 5 model years old and newer (this does NOT include reconstructed vehicles).
- See “Arizona Incentives for Eco-Friendly Driving” below for more information on testing AFVs.
- Collectible vehicles (must carry collectible vehicle insurance).
- Vehicles under 90 ccs, golf carts, and other electric-powered vehicles.
- Vehicles titled in more than one state (“apportioned vehicles”).
- Wholesale vehicles transferred between dealers.
For questions, call:
- Phoenix: (602) 771-3950
- Tucson: (520) 628-5651
More information on emissions and automotive diagnostics:
- Emissions Repair Service and Diagnostics
- Controlling Emissions
- Emission Control Systems
- Check Engine Light On
More Services we offer: